I'm used to watching high school football games in the cold, wind, snow and rain, so the weather on Friday night just enhanced my experience. The stands on the visiting team's side (Seminole) had a few people, but the stands on the home side were absolutely packed. It was impossible to get a seat. People were so excited to be there and they were jumping around and cheering for their team.
Since it was homecoming, they had a parade with each of the classes represented, and they crowned the king and queen (a football player and a cheerleader). There were a lot of parents at the game and some former Gibbs High School football players who I talked to for a bit. Gibbs won the game 35 - 0 with most of the scoring happening in the fourth quarter.
Admission to the game is $5 but they let me in for free with my press badge. It was really interesting to see how many people where there and how excited they were. I wasn't really going to cover the game as a story, I just wanted to get out in the community a little bit. They are playing again at home this Friday night.
No comments:
Post a Comment