I was incedibly inspired by the conversation that was going on that day. Mike Atwater shared his thoughts with us about the Kathleen Ford controversy. (link to coverage in the St. Petersburg Times: http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/group-gathers-in-st-petersburg-to-deride-ford-comment-supporters-defend-her/1045185 )
Another man offered his opinion, and Harry Harvey, the membership chairman for the St. Petersburg branch of the NAACP walked in and also participated. There was definitely a variety of opinions on the issue, and everyone felt comfortable sharing what they thought.
I wanted to stay there and continue the conversation for hours, but unfortunately I did have to go because I was already running late to my afternoon class. Harry Harvey gave me his business card and told me that I can share it with everyone in the class.

The conversation was meaningful to me for a number of reasons. I think that it was a great example of what Kenny Irby from Poynter calls "talking across difference." There is a PDF of the document available online (http://www.poynter.org/resource/public/20071027_003233_15908.pdf) and the last bit of advice says, "Stay in the conversation. Keep the dialogue going and resist the temptation to flee. It may be the toughest thing to do when things are uncomfortable or new. Remember that, 'there's no progress without struggle.'" The issue that we were discussing is controversial and difficult, but I am inspired by the willingness of people to have that discussion. I think the openness of the conversation is proof of how important it is to invest time in getting to know different people in the community. Do I think Mike would have initiated that conversation with me if it was his first time ever seeing me around town or in his restaurant? No.
But I was able to have that conversation because I was there. I got out of the car. And I apologize for using a cliche, but I think what hockey great Wayne Gretzky said rings true for this experience: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
So jealous ... next time.
ReplyDelete